Wednesday 3 October 2012

Mofo Post #3 Rhubarb Crumble



Being vegan I get asked a lot if I do desserts. People tend to assume that desserts don't exist with out butter and cream. Can you imagine if that were true? No desserts for the rest of your life? That would be dedication!

Today I cooked my first crumble of the year.  With the BF away on business I didn't trust myself to make a big one so instead I made two small ones and froze one of them, which also gave me a chance to use my lovely Falcon enamel pie dishes.

I took 500g of fresh rhubarb and chopped it into small pieces.

Then along with 100g sugar and 75ml water I let it simmer on the lowest temperature with the lid on for 15 minutes.

To make the crumble topping I mixed white sugar and flour with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. I rubbed this with some Vitalite dairy-free margarine until it looked like bread crumbs.

Tip the rhubarb into the pie dishes and cover with the topping, then bake in the oven on 150 C for about 20 minutes.

I served mine with oat cream, but only because I'm out of custard powder. Bird's custard is egg free so tomorrow I'll try making up some of that with some soy milk.

Does anyone have any recipes for vegan custard from scratch? I haven't seen one yet so would love to know.







1 comment: