This post is dedicated to my mum. Every time I see my mum she gives me at LEAST two jars of jam or chutney. I'm currently still working my way through her plum jam from 2010 and still haven't sampled summer 2011's strawberry or raspberry for which I helped pick the fruit and make.
In less than 3 weeks I'm moving to a tiny flat with the world's smallest kitchen. There are literally 2 cupboards in the kitchen which aren't appliances in disguise. So at the moment, it's sort of like, one for plates and one for jam.
Tomorrow I'm heading up to Leeds to hang out with my family so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone (don't worry they were tofurkies) and bake something to take with me at the same time as as de-cluttering my jam shelf....I bet no one else has a whole shelf just for jam!
For the pastry:
8oz of Plain flour
5oz Solid vegetable fat or Trex
3.5 oz Caster sugar
- Cut the vegetable fat into cubes and crumble into the flour, rubbing it in until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in sugar.
- Add a few teaspoons of water and mix in with your hands until you have a lump of dough.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Grease and line a cup cake tray.
- Roll out the dough and cut out circles with a cookie cutter, press circles into pan.
- Fill the pastry with jam.
- Put in oven at about 150 C for 20 minutes.
- When you take the tarts out, leave them in the tray to cool. The jam is like molten lava so leave it well alone and don't eat until they are at room temperature....you can do it, I did!
I'd love to hear anymore ideas for jam or chutney. I've still got about 5 more jars.