Friday 31 August 2012

Vegan Food Swap




This month I signed up to the Vegan Food Swap, organised by To Happy Vegans.

All you have to do is go on their site, fill out your details and they link you up with other swappers. The spend limit is £10 and you get a parcel of vegan treats from one person and send one to another.

When I got the details of my swapper I realised that she actually lived in my Housebites delivery area so I asked if I could deliver my parcel in person, that way I would be able to send some good home cooked food her way as well as some of my favourite shop-bought treats.

For my swapper I made summer pudding, gingernut cookies and cream icecream and tofu peanut satay, all from my housebites menu. I also bought some Popped Chips, which I am completely addicted to and some vegan gummy bears.

Rebecca, my swapping partner was happy for me to drop by so I visited her and met her husband Paul and their very fluffy cat. It was really great to meet a vegan couple. Rebecca recommended that I go to the vegan pot luck hosted by Fat Gay Vegan next month. I explained that all of them seem to have fallen on a day that I am away for the last few months. The next one is 5th September, when I'll be in Spain, so I'm hoping to go in October.

On Tuesday I received my food parcel from Jenny, who runs Cottage Cupcake Co. in Manchester. Jenny sent me box packed with goodies. Of these my favourite item was two vegan croissants from Saker Vegetarian Foods organic bakery. I warmed them in the oven for two minute on a high heat and smothered them in my mum's damson jam. It was so good, I have missed croissants so much! If only I could get them in a London train station at 6am with a black americano!


Another highlight was the Wheaty Salami. Salami is the only meat I have ever missed since giving it up almost 20 years ago. It got to the point where I actually dreamed that someone made vegetarian chilli spiced pepperamis and guess what? Wheaty do (Psychic!), but they call them space bars.
 I had a gorgeous salami sandwich with vegan mayonnaise and Dijon mustard this week while I was working and I'll be taking a lot of the chocolate goodies on holiday with me to Spain in case I don't find anything out there.

Jenny couldn't squeeze one of her cupcakes into the box unfortunately (I can see why, they look like they are piled high with frosting) but she did send me some home baked puppy treats. I don't have a dog and am told I'm never getting one (we'll see) so I'm going to accost a dog in the park and give them to him/her although Jenny said they are fit for human consumption.

I apologise for the picture quality in this post. I lost my camera charger and there was no way I was going to wait for the new one to arrive before I ate the food but I still wanted to share the experience, so people can see how much fun it is and register for next month.

I'm already looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment